Monday, February 17, 2014

SAX ZIM AND THE FUN RIDE HOME

When I left home for the Sax Zim Bog on Friday morning, I had no idea that I would be heading back in a wintry storm with poor visibility. Thank you Lord for leading me back home safely. It was a fun trip but I am glad to be back. I like the beauty of the bog but also love the familiarity of the metro area. The Twin Cities are home to some birds that are not up north but for Minnesota Specialty Birds, the bog is the place to be. I decided to log my Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's bird counting numbers to my Big Day totals and it really brought down the average. But after the last few days of birding up north, I now have 48 total bird species for the month!!! That breaks December & January's month totals. I added 13 new bird species to my month list; many of them not to be found unless you are up north during the cold winter months. The birds I added were: Black-billed Magpie, Northern Hawk Owl (that was my only Life Bird), Pine Grosbeak, Ruffed Grouse, Common Raven, Bohemian Waxwing, Great Horned Owl, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Boreal Chickadee, Evening Grosbeak, Gray Jay, Northern Shrike, and Snow Bunting. I also spotted many deer and was even lucky enough to get short glimpses of a beautiful Ermine (short-tailed weasel in winter plumage). The Northern Hawk Owl was my 287th Minnesota Bird. I need 13 more to join the elusive 300 Club. I guess good things take time and believe it will happen some day. I definitely am blessed and thank God for the gift of eternal life. When the time comes I will have a home in eternity with Him and a new heavenly body. What that will be like I do not know but I again will be patient and wait my turn joining that club as well. God Bless.
Bohemian Waxwing


Boreal Chickadee in flight

Evening Grosbeak

Gray Jay

Northern Hawk Owl - my Life Bird for the trip

Ruffed Grouse

No comments:

Post a Comment