Wednesday, February 19, 2014

3 SHRIKES AND I'M OUT (BIRDING LIKE CRAZY)

If you couldn't tell from the title of this blog post, I saw 3 Northern Shrikes today. Wow! That was cool. And I had a record Big Day today for the month of February, tying January's biggest Big Day of 29 species. New bird as well for the month; an American Kestrel. I did not see a Brown Creeper today or a Barred Owl. The old reliable Barred Owl at Springbrook Nature Center in Fridley is no longer reliable. This is due to a continued project to remove buck-thorn from the park. All of the equipment and ripping through the woods has spooked the owl and it has not been seen for a while. There are still a couple of other spots that I see the Barred Owl on a somewhat regular basis so I will still be on the hunt. It appears a storm is on the way. I guess time will tell. The Lord will cover and protect us as He always does. I am glad He is in control. I hope you have a blessed day.

Here is my new Big Day record list for the month of February:

American Crow
American Goldfinch
American Kestrel
American Robin
American Tree Sparrow
Bald Eagle
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
Cedar Waxwing
Common Goldeneye
Dark-eyed Junco
Downy Woodpecker
European Starling
Gadwall
Hairy Woodpecker
House Finch
House Sparrow
Mallard
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Northern Shrike
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Snowy Owl
Trumpeter Swan
White-breasted Nuthatch
Wild Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment