Friday, January 24, 2014

NO GREAT HORNED OWL BUT GOT RED-SHOULDERED

I have not been out counting birds lately. But I have been busy trying to dodge this cold weather and beat at this cold in my body.
Like my friend Jean says - "It just seems to hang on." So I have been just hanging out - not doing much birding until the storm passes. Or at least the cold weather somewhat subsides. This seems to be one of the many obstacles in the way of winter birding. Besides the cold weather, it is also more difficult to move around with the tough road conditions, and there is also not as much daylight so time is of the essence. As of today - I just added another new specie for the month. I took a nice long walk down by the Rum River looking for the Great Horned Owl. I have seen it nesting there for the past 2 or 3 years but so far this year - no luck. As I headed to the tall pine grove, I did hear the unmistakable sound of a Red-shouldered Hawk. So far this month I have recorded a total of 35 bird species. And the Biggest Big Day of the month is 29. I don't have a photo of a Red-shouldered Hawk but enjoy this one instead - a Blue Jay harassing a Red-tailed Hawk. And remember that God has a plan for us and it does not include harassment. God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment