Thursday, May 1, 2014

BLESSED WITH BIRDS

Just back from 5 days in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. High temps anywhere from 105 - 90. It feels odd to be back to this cool weather and not as many birds. My trip list totaled 115 bird species with 4 new Life Birds. My new birds were: White-collared Seedeater (a code 3 bird), Scaled Quail, Least Tern, and Red-crowned Parrot. My wife played a big part in finding the parrot. I was looking around this park in Harlingen, Texas for what seemed like an hour until I was ready to give up. We decided to go to our favorite birding spot by the airport so I turned the car around and headed back in the direction we came from. Right after turning around she says "there's one." It flew right in front of our car. What luck. Thank you Lord. The seedeater find was a great team effort. My wife thought she saw some movement deep in the cane (a plant where the bird likes to hang out) and then I heard it shortly after. It popped out long enough to get some diagnostic photos and then it was time to give high fives. It was a very brief look at the Scaled Quail as well; an awesome 50th birthday present. We drove about 7 miles north of Rio Grande City, Texas to a ranch that allowed interested parties to go birding (for a small fee of course). Upon arriving we were looking for the owner but bumped into one of his tenants first. After introducing himself, he motioned to movement in the brush and noted that there was a Scaled Quail passing through. I just got the binoculars on it in time to see the beautiful white crest on top of its head and then it was gone. The Least Tern is the smallest of terns (only 9 inches) and is simply beautiful to watch as it dives into the water for food. It was quite busy at South Padre Island's Birding Center all day on Monday the 28th. It was a fun getaway and a fun way to celebrate my birthday. We were blessed with birds, great gulf views, tasty food, and safe travel. My North American Life List now totals 426 birds; a small number compared to many. But I love my hobby and I love my Lord. God Bless

P.S. I will post some photos from our trip soon. Also I am looking forward to bird guiding on Saturday the 10th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment