Thursday, May 25, 2023

WELCOME PACIFIC

     I barely got done working today without having to take a break. If we work 8 hours or more, we are required to take a break. I just docked my work truck with a minute to spare. A quick jaunt home and then a drive down to Lake Nokomis had me hunting for the Pacific Loon. I didn't need to hunt too long to finish the trifecta. Now I have seen all 3 of the loons common to Minnesota; Common Loon, Red-throated Loon, and Pacific Loon. The Pacific becomes my 313th Minnesota bird matching my Minnesota Birds Life list which is also at 313. A dozen birds that are not common to Minnesota are on my Life List meaning I only need a dozen more "Regulars." 

    The thing that was irregular about the whole experience today was the confusion. Was there 1 Pacific Loon or 2? Was there a Common Loon or were there 2? I reached into my bag of tricks and contacted my good birding friend Doug Kieser to sort out all the mess. He informed me that many people have been reporting 2 Pacific Loons but there really is only 1. The photo below shows a Common Loon in non-breeding plumage on the right. The Pacific Loon is on the left; much smaller. Again, not a good photo but I once again had excellent views in my spotting scope. Money well spent!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment